Medical Records Specialist - Full Time - West Orlando Ocoee
The Medical Records/ Patient Registration Clerk specialist will interact with patients as they enter the facility and must be able to receive and express detailed information through oral and written communications. Will work in a fast-paced environment where they will have to be able to appropriately interpret physician orders and medical terminology.
- The main duty of medical records PRC is managing and securing patient records. They spend a lot of time working with computers and software to comply with federal mandates for electronic storage of patient information.
- PRC must make sure that these records are accurate and complete since they may be used for research or quality management.
- Health information management (HIM) clerks maintain and update patient records, which include medical histories, treatments and examinations.
- They are also responsible for filing and storing records as well as the process for releasing patient medical records.
- They confer with doctors and other healthcare providers to ensure that patient records display the most updated information. Some health information management clerks are trained in medical billing and coding, which requires them to enter correct coding for insurance and reimbursement purposes.
- Depending on the employer, HIM clerks might perform additional administrative duties.
- Bilingual – Must be fluent in both Spanish and English
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Some College coursework is preferred
- Course in Medical Terminology required
- 0 – 1 year of medical experience required.
- 0 – 1 year administrative experience in medical facility, health insurance, referrals, or related area preferred
- Minimum typing skills of 35 wpm
- Demonstrated working knowledge of PC/CRT/printer
- Understanding of Third Party Payor requirements preferred
- Understanding of Compliance standards preferred